Author Topic: New hardshell case?  (Read 3143 times)

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
New hardshell case?
« on: September 01, 2015, 03:21:30 PM »
I'm on my second Gibson Les Paul case.  Both on the original, and the replacement cases, the handles have broken off.  I got a replacement handle for the second case, and now it has broken, too.

I picked up a pretty nice gig bag.  It works OK for going out to jams, or some deal where I'm not hauling a lot of gear.  But if I'm hauling a van-load of gear, I don't like having my guitar back there where something could shift and fall on it.  And the padding of the bag, wouldn't be enough.

Thinking about getting a 3rd party case, like an SKB-56.  Don't want the expense and the weight of a full-on flight case.  But something more durable that these pricey Gibson cases.

This morning, I wrote Gibson a not-a-fan letter about their cases, and the handles breaking off.  We'll see if that might shame them into at least sending me a free replacement handle.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
Re: New hardshell case?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 06:39:16 PM »
Not a fan of gig bags for sure.   Some companies are doing hard external gig bags.  Taylor has one for the 200 series that is pretty forgiving for bumps.  Wouldn't take a car running over it, but has taken a bump into the wall without any incident.  Seagull makes one also.   

I have never had an SKB case fail on me.   
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 01:27:55 PM »
Not a fan of gig bags for sure.   Some companies are doing hard external gig bags.  Taylor has one for the 200 series that is pretty forgiving for bumps.  Wouldn't take a car running over it, but has taken a bump into the wall without any incident.  Seagull makes one also.   

I have never had an SKB case fail on me.

I know a girl with a Seagull, with the foam case.  She likes the fact that the case is super-light.  I need something stronger than styrofoam, but weight is a factor.  Otherwise I might splurge and go for the full on road case.  But it is like $250, and its heavy.

I think the SKB-56 looks like a good option.  Last night, I sold off a couple of old PA cabs and a PA power amp.  Also had a handful of well-paying gigs recently, so the gear kitty is fatter than its been in awhile.  Time to start working on my gear needs!

I am still avoiding spending money at GC/MF over the Monster Cable deal.  I'm sure I can find somewhere else to take my money.

DannyDV8

• Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 01:36:37 PM »
Zzounds.com.  I've picked up a few things from them, and I like them a lot.  The small stuff I've been ordering arrives within 48 hours, the amp took a little longer.
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 02:22:33 PM »
Zzounds.com.  I've picked up a few things from them, and I like them a lot.  The small stuff I've been ordering arrives within 48 hours, the amp took a little longer.

I've used them.  Also Sweetwater and Full Compass.  Everyone has them for $144-149.  Found on Amazon for 134 w/free shipping.  I think we have a winner.  Well, they slapped on $11 in tax.  So a wash, but I got the satisfaction of not giving GC my money!

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 03:49:11 PM »
Received my SKB case.  The box seemed unusually large for a guitar case.   Shipping weight was 20 pounds.  Looked big enough to have shipped with the case open.  Why would anyone do that?  Open the box to find, 2 cases.  One upside down/one rightside up.  They kind of support each other that way.

Why SKB would routinely box two of these together just seems weird.  Maybe there minimum wholesale order is two units.  Who knows.  I had free shipping, so didn't even get dinged for the extra weight.

What to do?  Moral dilemma.

I could:
A) Do the right thing, and contact Amazon about their mistake so they can arrange to have the extra shipped back.  (If they expect me to do any packing, or drive to the UPS store, I think they will owe me some kind of perk or credit!)
B) Sell the second one on eBay, to mostly offset the cost of the case I bought.
C) Buy a LP Tribute with P90s, with no case.  Sounds like the "universe" telling me to buy a new guitar!

I may sit on it for a week or so, to see if they figure out their mistake and contact me.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 07:01:14 PM »
I've never regretted doing the right thing, then again, I've never actually done the right thing......

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 07:18:56 PM »
I've never regretted doing the right thing, then again, I've never actually done the right thing......

:D :D :D

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 03:08:27 PM »
Probably 7 to 8 years back , I ordered a cymbal stand and they sent me a Hiwatt Custom 50 which is a 3K dollar amp.  I emailed the company ,told them what happened. When they responded they had erased  my story of what had happened and the email simply said something like thank you for your business and  enjoy your purchase. That was enough for me to have a clear conscience, i contacted them a d they did nothing.
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 03:10:07 PM »
You'll contact them and they will tell you to keep it.  It is not hassle enough for them to get it back.  It will clear your mind. 

For me, I am lucky if I get what I order.
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 05:08:19 PM »
You'll contact them and they will tell you to keep it.  It is not hassle enough for them to get it back.  It will clear your mind. 

For me, I am lucky if I get what I order.

I figure that they cannot ask me to spend any of my time or money to return it to them (without compensation). 

So, the only acceptable return scenarios are: someone shows up at my doorstep to repack and ship the 'extra' case; or, they shoot me a $50 Amazon credit for my time and trouble to pack and ship (and they pay the shipping cost.)

There is a chance that my P90 solidbody wish, could materialize as Trib LP, or an Epi LP '56 RI.  Something that will not come with a case.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 06:33:30 PM »
I they wanted it back they would probably have UPS drop by and give you a return sticker, and then come back by and pick it up.  Meanwhile, look for a used P-90 Less Paul Special.  You won't regret it, even though the case might be just a little big for it.

Amazon probably has bigger fish to fry.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 06:35:37 PM »
Probably 7 to 8 years back , I ordered a cymbal stand and they sent me a Hiwatt Custom 50 which is a 3K dollar amp.  I emailed the company ,told them what happened. When they responded they had erased  my story of what had happened and the email simply said something like thank you for your business and  enjoy your purchase. That was enough for me to have a clear conscience, i contacted them a d they did nothing.

Somewhere someone is still wondering what they did so wrong in life to get a $15 cymbal stand when they ordered a $3,000 amp.   I bet you ordered one of those silly left handed cymbal stands too!

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 09:18:33 PM »

Somewhere someone is still wondering what they did so wrong in life to get a $15 cymbal stand when they ordered a $3,000 amp.   I bet you ordered one of those silly left handed cymbal stands too!

Yeah, that is a big one!  What became of that amp?

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 03:13:05 PM »

Yeah, that is a big one!  What became of that amp?

I still have it. It is still like brand new. Probably less than a dozen hours of use

Ken, I paid a little more than 15 for the stand. I bought one that could be used Left or Right handed!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 03:16:54 PM by BH »
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013