Author Topic: GC "selection"  (Read 2676 times)

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
GC "selection"
« on: September 11, 2015, 01:36:26 PM »
I took the day off to drive my daughter to the airport.   I had the rest of the day to goof around, so stopped by the Guitar Center in Independence,MO.  (This is the store we thought might have closed.  I guess the real estate transaction was just a change in landlords.)

I am starting to look for a good P90, probably solidbody, but keeping an open mind.  Thought I might also check out a Quilter Tone Block or Aviator.  Total f'ing strikeout!!!  For a big store, with a seemingly huge inventory, they didn't have much of anything I was interested in.

The only 2 P90 guitars I could find in the store was an Epiphone WildKat and one LP jr.  Actually the WildKat is a pretty nice guitar in the $400 space.  Seemed well made, and it played real well.  Wasn't what I was looking for.  But gave me a bit of assurance that I wouldn't regret buying an Epi as a player.

The LP Jr.  played great two.  I don't think single pup (bridge only) will work for me, though.  I really like the neck and combo positions.  And especially neck p90 is a cool thing, itself.  They had the LP jr, in the "Vault", where the high end guitars would be-- IF THEY HAD ANY.

Not a single Tribute LP; Not a single '56 RI LP Epi.  Not even a budget-busting Gibson RI.  No other P90 equipped axes.

Tried my luck in the acoustic room.  No better.  My favorite Martins are the 000 concert size.  Not a single one.

No Quilter amps, either.  Amp selection beyond the usual suspects-- MIA.

I guess from a business standpoint they are catering to beginners, and the lower-end market as a whole.  Maybe it makes business sense.  But is sure makes them a sucky store for any seasoned player!  I had no intention of buying from them, anyway.  But I thought I might get to test drive some contenders.

I am feeling freshly justified in my opinion of GC as the Walmart of musical instruments.

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
Re: GC "selection"
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 02:38:33 PM »
I have the 2011 gold-top tribute. It is the one with p 90's and the slim 70's style neck. It is american made. The frets are a little sharp on the ends and you can feel them when sliding down the neck.

I paid 750 for it brand new on ebay. Not bad for an american made Gibson. Came with the foam gig bag.

The gold tops are still holding their value. I can still get my money back and maybe make a few.

My best ebay steal in a few years was the CS 336 flamed tobacco burst unplayed condition 1500
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 03:10:40 PM »
I have the 2011 gold-top tribute. It is the one with p 90's and the slim 70's style neck. It is american made. The frets are a little sharp on the ends and you can feel them when sliding down the neck.

I paid 750 for it brand new on ebay. Not bad for an american made Gibson. Came with the foam gig bag.

The gold tops are still holding their value. I can still get my money back and maybe make a few.

My best ebay steal in a few years was the CS 336 flamed tobacco burst unplayed condition 1500

I think the tobacco burst tribs are pretty, as well.   Does yours have P90s?  I think the 50s trib has humbuckers, and the 60s trib has P90s, which seems backwards.  But hey-we are talking about present-day Gibson, and backwards is what they do.

I played an Epi 339 yesterday also.  Pretty impressed with the quality of the Epiphones I picked up.  Makes me think about the '56 goldtop RI that Epi makes. 

Reluctant to buy a guitar without playing it first.

DannyDV8

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 04:04:12 PM »

It's all I'm sayin'
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 06:23:40 PM »

It's all I'm sayin'

They didn't have one of those, either!  Might have to mount a guitar-buying road trip.  A few non-GC stores to go scan here.  After that, its used, GC, or mail order/ebay.

JKennemur

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 07:04:27 PM »
Take a drive to Chattanooga! We have an Epi '56 RI with Duncan Antiquities in it......  :D

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 08:46:25 PM »
This one is 15 or 16 years old.  You can find them, and they go for about $800 used.  It's become my number one axe, and I have a bunch of cool guitars......

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 08:51:21 PM »

SEE HOW HAPPY I LOOK?  have GC check in their data base for a used one, have them call the store it's in and ask about it's condition, and go ahead and order the guitar.  You'll have 30 days to test drive it, and then if it ain't all that, you can get your money back.  If you really have an issue with it, you don't even have to leave the store with it.  Mine had some tuning issues with 0.10s on it, so i put a set of Dunlop Heavy Core 0.11s on it and it made it a whole 'nuther thing!  It plays like a dream, it stays in tune, and the tone is just wicked!  They're also lighter than a regular Les Paul, and for my money, they sound better as well.  I talked to YO about it, and these are the Les Pauls he likes as well.  Just don't go with one of the new ones, Gibson managed to knock almost all the mojo off of it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 09:00:18 PM by DannyDV8 »

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 11:53:11 PM »
I love my 50's RI with P-90's.   Haven't seen one at a GC since I got mine.
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 04:13:19 PM »
I love my 50's RI with P-90's.   Haven't seen one at a GC since I got mine.

A LP RI, or Tribute?

I was pretty disappointed at the GC selection!  It was so geared to beginners and kids.  As soon as you start looking for something a little better, you start striking out.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 04:35:50 PM »
Seen a few more P90 solidbodies, that I might consider:

G&L tribute(indonesia) Ascari GT90.

Nebelung (Norweigian) - a few models P90 equipped.  There is an independent store about 50 miles south of me, in a small town.  The store owner started out in Norway, then relocated to Pleasanton, KS.  Kind of scant info out there by people who have actually owned/played one.