Author Topic: Getting Back Out There  (Read 3039 times)

JKennemur

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Getting Back Out There
« on: September 24, 2015, 07:28:59 PM »
Sounds like it's the season for musical situation adjustments here on BAB.  I'm about to start getting back out there a little bit.  I'm going to be doing some side-man-ing with a couple of guys that play in a local classic rock cover band.  They had been starting to try to get out and do some duo stuff at restaurants and smaller venues during the week.  Acoustic, bass, and they both sing.  I'm going to be the third man out, adding some electric and acoustic, and if it goes well, I might try to pick up a mandolin and uke just to add some different flavors.  I might also record some drum tracks for us to play to.

First gig on Oct. 28th.  So I'm in the middle of learning around 50 songs. Beatles, Eagles, CSN & sometimes Y, Traveling Wilburys, etc.  They're hoping to do two gigs per week, which will be a nifty little income boost. 

Other than that, I'm also busy "getting back out there" cutting, splitting, stacking firewood!  Winter's coming guys!!!   :D

DannyDV8

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Back Out There
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 06:41:12 AM »
Glad to hear you're working the night shift!
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 01:09:28 PM »
Cool.  Sounds like a blast and then some!
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 04:11:19 PM »
Great to hear, Jeremy!  The singer/songwriter I play with started solo/duo;  acoustic and bass.  Then I was added for electric guitar.  We played a lot of gigs as drumless trio.  Then added a drummer for the full band.  Laura still does some solo acoustic gigs.  Electric with acoustic is kind of a neat format.  Pretty different than two electric guitars.

JKennemur

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 06:49:17 PM »
Great to hear, Jeremy!  The singer/songwriter I play with started solo/duo;  acoustic and bass.  Then I was added for electric guitar.  We played a lot of gigs as drumless trio.  Then added a drummer for the full band.  Laura still does some solo acoustic gigs.  Electric with acoustic is kind of a neat format.  Pretty different than two electric guitars.

Yeah, I think I'll enjoy it.  This will be the first band I've been in where I'll be playing mostly clean!  We got together for the fist time on Monday.  I'm using my old Traynor with a Modded DS-1, Ibanez chorus (which I may trade out for something else), and MXR Carbon Copy as a light slap that I'm leaving on all the time.  I need to get a good compressor for a little extra punch on certain things (like the chicken pickin' and pedal steel-y stuff).

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 07:02:27 PM »
That JK mod DS-1 you did was a great pedal.  Everyone that heard it loved it.    I ended up giving mine to a group of kids who went on tour with Seventh Day Slumber a year ago.   Sad to see it go, but those kids sure loved it. 

Good to see you back here too!
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 08:55:50 PM »

Yeah, I think I'll enjoy it.  This will be the first band I've been in where I'll be playing mostly clean!  We got together for the fist time on Monday.  I'm using my old Traynor with a Modded DS-1, Ibanez chorus (which I may trade out for something else), and MXR Carbon Copy as a light slap that I'm leaving on all the time.  I need to get a good compressor for a little extra punch on certain things (like the chicken pickin' and pedal steel-y stuff).

I use volume swells quite a bit (vol pedal, mostly) in that configuration.  Helps with that pedal steel vibe.  I do a kind of cello part, using swells, in one of her tunes.

JKennemur

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 04:41:40 PM »

I use volume swells quite a bit (vol pedal, mostly) in that configuration.  Helps with that pedal steel vibe.  I do a kind of cello part, using swells, in one of her tunes.

Yeah, I need to grab a volume pedal.  Speaking of cello parts....It would come in handy for incorporating some Ebow, also.

DannyDV8

• Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 04:45:43 PM »
I picked up an Ebow a while ago myself.  So far I haven't really incorporated it into the act, I've just been horsing around with it.  As of late I'm staying glued to the volume pedal.
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

JKennemur

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 08:29:09 PM »
So, we ended up doing a last minute deal on the patio of a nice little restaurant called Firebirds last night. Good turn out. Had several tables asking the manager when we were coming back, so we're playing Wednesday and Thursday night next week. This was sort of a low dough/free meal/ tryout thing, but they ended up paying us almost double what we had agreed to plus the return engagements.......always nice!

.......and we're off.........

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 09:49:01 PM »
So, we ended up doing a last minute deal on the patio of a nice little restaurant called Firebirds last night. Good turn out. Had several tables asking the manager when we were coming back, so we're playing Wednesday and Thursday night next week. This was sort of a low dough/free meal/ tryout thing, but they ended up paying us almost double what we had agreed to plus the return engagements.......always nice!

Nice!!!  Great when they want to give you more, and have you right back.

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 12:24:20 AM »

Thats a class place !  Congrats on the gig!  Let  e know if you play there again , me and the wife may attend.
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 12:55:24 AM »
I missed the part about you being there Wed and Thurs. I may be there. me and the wife had planned a night at Embassy Suites up the street for Saturday but keeping the grandchild is conflicting with our plans. i'll probably see you there Wed.
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

JKennemur

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 06:40:24 PM »
Come on out BH! It would be great to see you again. Been a while!

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2015, 07:55:33 PM »
Come on out BH! It would be great to see you again. Been a while!

I'll slip up on you !  You won't recognize me, Im tippin the scales @ almost 220.

Blueshonky  2013