Author Topic: NGD - Gitane DG-255 professional gypsy jazz guitar  (Read 3121 times)

jblaylock

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
NGD - Gitane DG-255 professional gypsy jazz guitar
« on: November 11, 2015, 05:57:59 PM »
Picked up a Gitane DG-255 "professional gypsy jazz guitar." Still a bit budget, even though it's part of their higher end "professional" line. Solid spruce top, laminate Indian rosewood back and sides, mahogany neck, ebony fingerboard.

I have already ordered an upgraded Dupont bridge and tailpiece. I will put them in today and at some point will record another video to compare and contrast the sound and play-ability before and after the upgrades.

Just Friends and Nuages - Gypsy Jazz Chord Melody

DannyDV8

• Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
Re: NGD - Gitane DG-255 professional gypsy jazz guitar
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 01:21:16 AM »
Pretty schweet, alright!
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 02:44:27 PM »
Nice! It sure has a small ole .
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

jblaylock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 03:06:35 PM »
Thanks guys.

Nice! It sure has a small ole .

Honk, it's a Selmer copy modeled off of Django's most popular guitar. The small, narrow oval hole is one of the key aspects of the Selmer's signature, percussive sound, and incidentally a key aspect of it's signature look (along with the flat cutaway, classical guitar headstock, mustache bridge, and brass tailpiece).

I liked the sound and loved the play-ability right out of the box. Now I've replaced the Asian bridge and tailpiece with a much higher quality Dupont bridge and tailpiece, and already the sound has warmed up, some of the harmonic overtones and metalic spring sounding reverb saturation has muted into a nicer, more accurate to the Selmer tone. I ordered a nicer wood insert to replace the plastic insert that came with the original tailpiece (the Dupont only came with the tailpiece and not the insert). That supposedly makes a big difference, according to the interwebs. I need to get a strip of felt to go under the tailpiece, and then I'll be done modding it.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 03:18:26 PM by jblaylock »

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 03:27:02 PM »
You always have to monkey wit shat. I used a couple of the small adhesive back felt dots to  keep the tail piece on my arch-top off the body
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

JKennemur

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 07:31:12 PM »
Several years back I had the pleasure of working on a Dupont. The guy had bought it and then ordered the bridge insert with a pickup built in. So, I had to install that and an end-pin jack. There's something about the special feeling you get when you have the opportunity to drill a couple of holes in an $8,000-ish guitar!  :)

jblaylock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 08:40:45 PM »
Several years back I had the pleasure of working on a Dupont. The guy had bought it and then ordered the bridge insert with a pickup built in. So, I had to install that and an end-pin jack. There's something about the special feeling you get when you have the opportunity to drill a couple of holes in an $8,000-ish guitar!  :)

Lol. Was it a BigTone? That seems to be the most popular under-bridge built in pickup for Selmer "modele jazz" style guitars. I don't personally like them. They affect the acoustic tone too much and kind of almost kill the signature acoustic tone that these types of guitars are made for (IMO).

I like the Stimer pickups. Like this one.
Stimer ST48

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 08:53:56 PM »
Pretty sweet. 
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

jblaylock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 08:59:18 PM »

JKennemur

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 10:48:50 PM »

Lol. Was it a BigTone? That seems to be the most popular under-bridge built in pickup for Selmer "modele jazz" style guitars. I don't personally like them. They affect the acoustic tone too much and kind of almost kill the signature acoustic tone that these types of guitars are made for (IMO).

I like the Stimer pickups. Like this one.
Stimer ST48

I think so. It looked just like the one that was on it, but had the pickup built in.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 04:44:53 PM »
Nice, Jonny!  Congrats!

jblaylock

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 03:21:11 PM »