Author Topic: NGD - mercy mercy mercy.  (Read 2279 times)

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
NGD - mercy mercy mercy.
« on: December 17, 2015, 03:57:58 PM »
This week I was contacted and was asked if I want a 1978-1979 Ibanez  MC-500ds for a few hundred to help a guy make ends meet. 

The original had a 3 band active EQ system (aka. trying to be an Alembic copy) split coil, out of phase coil system.   Sounds like it would be a great recording instrument.  Heavy as 2 Les Pauls, and explorer and SG all put together, but tone and sustain for weeks.

Well, it had a few mods.

New unkown pickups (humbuckers) + routing.   *The bridge sounds great, but the neck is somewhat microphonic. 
Removal of tone and wired only mail volume.
Routed and mounted pre-GK-1 synth pickup (that no longer works). 

Other than that in fair players condition.  Would make an excellent guitar for recording if it was reconstructed and set up right.  As it is now, it looks like it has been toured (and the original aluminum flight case) shows it has toured.   Needs a decent cleaning and set up with some strings that have been made in this century.

Thinking about putting a set of P-rails in it and a current synth pickup or just holding on and reselling after the first of the year.  In the condition it is in now it is at least a $200 gain and due to the routing original pickups will be out of the question.   

Very resonant instrument and has been around the world a few times *and it shows.

better pictures forthcoming
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Re: NGD - mercy mercy mercy.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 04:08:03 PM »
This week I was contacted and was asked if I want a 1978-1979 Ibanez  MC-500ds for a few hundred to help a guy make ends meet. 

The original had a 3 band active EQ system (aka. trying to be an Alembic copy) split coil, out of phase coil system.   Sounds like it would be a great recording instrument.  Heavy as 2 Les Pauls, and explorer and SG all put together, but tone and sustain for weeks.

Well, it had a few mods.

New unkown pickups (humbuckers) + routing.   *The bridge sounds great, but the neck is somewhat microphonic. 
Removal of tone and wired only mail volume.
Routed and mounted pre-GK-1 synth pickup (that no longer works). 

Other than that in fair players condition.  Would make an excellent guitar for recording if it was reconstructed and set up right.  As it is now, it looks like it has been toured (and the original aluminum flight case) shows it has toured.   Needs a decent cleaning and set up with some strings that have been made in this century.

Thinking about putting a set of P-rails in it and a current synth pickup or just holding on and reselling after the first of the year.  In the condition it is in now it is at least a $200 gain and due to the routing original pickups will be out of the question.   

Very resonant instrument and has been around the world a few times *and it shows.

better pictures forthcoming

Pretty!  Too bad about the weight; or it might be a great player.  "Heavier than a Les Paul" is a dealbreaker for me.

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 11:59:10 PM »
When i saw the toggle switches and the thru neck construction , i thought it was a carvin
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 02:41:43 AM »
Took it to the shop and they are happy to start working on it. 

Update forthcoming.
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

DannyDV8

• Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 05:25:21 PM »
It should be a Hell of an axe for the studio.  Hanging it around your neck for four setsw might be a bit much, however.
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 02:45:42 PM »
It should be a Hell of an axe for the studio.  Hanging it around your neck for four setsw might be a bit much, however.

And that is what I am hoping for.  Versatile for recording and having a guitar that can cover pretty much any tone range.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 04:09:37 PM »
I don't know about "any" tone range, but it should be a mofo.....

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 12:49:10 AM »

qualifier "pretty much..."

it will have a set of p-rails set to be able to in or out of phase P-rails which is single coil,P-90, Humbucker,

Maybe in Beaker world..

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 04:45:28 PM »

Maybe in Beaker world..
Help me Obie Juan Karaoke, you're my only hope!