Author Topic: ok, this might be a stupid question, but I am asking anyways.  (Read 1767 times)

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
I am trying to sell my SG and have had an offer for partial trade.  It is a crappy Ibanez acoustic that should sell for about $200.  He claims he took it somewhere and "Had it strobed" so it is now worth at least #500.  I have never heard that other than using a strobe tuner. 

The guy then proceeds to tell me that it cost him $300 to have his guitar "Strobed" and he says it plays better and sounds better after this "Strobe" thing. 

Can't find anything on line and have never heard of anything like this before.

thoughts?  Is this guy stupid, trying to rip me of, been ripped of, or otherwise.
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
Re: ok, this might be a stupid question, but I am asking anyways.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 07:32:47 PM »
He may be referring to plek

Go to plek.com
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 07:36:27 PM by BH »
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

JKennemur

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 08:09:46 PM »
Second that.

Either he's talking about having it Plek'd or he took he to a Discotheque.   :D

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 08:29:50 PM »
The only strobe relating to guitar I've ever heard of is 'strobe tuner'.

If the guy had a cheap acoustic plek'ed, I cannot fathom how that really raised the value of the guitar $300.

Maybe he took it to a guitar tech for a setup, and the tech used a strobe tuner.

If I were cleaning my guitar house out, I would not want just another guitar that I have to sell.  Especially one of dubious value.

Stupid, or trying to rip you off. I think you are on the right track with those two options.

Counter with your asking price, plus the guitar.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 09:45:22 PM »
I got a cash offer of what I was looking at.

I think the guy got ripped off.  I am not sure anyone would plek a guitar of that value. 

I messaged him back and said I am not interested as his guitar has no value to me unless he got me some information from the guitar shop that did the work with the information on how it improves the guitars value. 

I doubt I will get a reply, either way I am getting the cash I wanted tomorrow.  Just two more amps to go, a classical guitar and a cheapo keyboard.   
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 11:39:18 PM »
The response email today is that he doesn't want a guitar from someone stupid that does not know what strobing a guitar is..  And so there goes Beakers cousin.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 10:21:54 PM »
The response email today is that he doesn't want a guitar from someone stupid that does not know what strobing a guitar is..  And so there goes Beakers cousin.

There is one for the Craigslist hall of shame.
 :D