Author Topic: Gibson downgraded and selling off property.  (Read 2753 times)

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
Gibson downgraded and selling off property.
« on: March 23, 2016, 03:25:08 PM »
http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/03/22/guitar-maker-gibson-puts-gulch-properties-market/82120490/

Listings come three weeks after Moody’s Investors Service downgraded Gibson's credit rating.  Looks like Gibson, who has put a great deal of stock in Guitar Center selling their instruments is coming up a little short.  Gibson and Little Caeser may go down, each pulling the other down, which is sad, because the 2016 Gibson models are day and night better than the 15's.  They may just be too late. 

"Guitar maker Gibson Brands has put its 1.62-acre real estate portfolio near downtown Nashville up for sale, a move that comes amid strong developer interest in projects in that area called the North Gulch.

Commercial real estate firm CBRE is handling the listing, which includes 1.12 acres fronting Church Street and 12th Avenue North. That site includes a four-story, 33,864-square-foot warehouse on 0.28 acres at 1117 Church St., as well as adjacent land on Church Street and also at 134 and 138 12th Ave. N."

Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

DannyDV8

• Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson downgraded and selling off property.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 04:30:10 PM »
Perhaps they'll figure out that you shouldn't have to pay almost $5000.oo for a guitar that "looks" like a '59.  Their stuff has been over priced for years, and their attitude shitty.  I remember when I went to the NAMM show a few years back, you couldn't even go in their display area unless you were some kind of rock star while they themselves were movie stars.  I don't think them going down would collapse Guitar Center.  The two I go to have maybe 20 Gibsons, and mostly Fender and Epiphone guitars out.  This same shit fell on them in the early '70s when Norlin took over and actually started to produce some pretty good guitars.  Like I always say, you can't sell the paint.
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 05:04:52 PM »
The GC in Rockford has at least 50 Gibson guitars, if not more. They have a ton of wall space there.  If you can play through 50 of em you usually can find one that is pretty darn good.     
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 12:50:37 PM »
When they went back to the more traditional neck, they also went back to the small E string wanting to fall off the side of the fret board.  I don't get it, it ain't rocket science.  I've played a bunch of reissue '56s.  They look like the real thing, sure enough, but I played a real one a few months ago, and I came to the conclusion that they can duplicate the look, the paint, all that stuff, but what they cannot duplicate is 1956 craftsmanship.  They're trying to knock out 700 a day, and it just doesn't fly.  That doesn't stop them from wanting close to five grand for the damned thing.  When I played the real one, it was probably the finest guitar I've ever even touched.  It went for a couple of hundred bucks when it was new.  Gibson's biggest problem is Gibson itself.  They've brought this on themselves, and it's well deserved.  I've seen it coming for years.  It's like 1973 all over again.  They should let someone take over the company that actually likes guitars, and musicians.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 06:44:26 PM »
Gibson needs to innovate better.  Fender is one at a time developing new stuff that is probably cool.  They have developed a guitar with an interface that is actually affordable.  ($699), remember that Gibson tried something and created a hidous monstrosity that had a list a little under 6 grand.   Fenders guitar is totally usable as a guitar if the electronics fail.  Gibson's Firebird X was a failure if any of the electronics failed.  I saw one recently on Craiglist for $2500.   It hasnt (nor will it sell). 

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 02:15:49 AM »
Perhaps Fender will buy Gibson........They certainly bought out a lot of other guitar manufacturers. In Gibson's case it would be a blessing to the consumer.

ecgitar

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 06:44:10 PM »
The prices of Gibson's have gone up a lot in the past few years which is good if you purchased a Gibson way back for investment.  This Gibson price increase I believe is impacting their sales profits.  Fender is keeping up and offering good\great guitars at a better price line.  Both Gibson and Fender "signature series" guitars I think are priced to high however. 8)
The Blues Rules and so does Clapton.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 11:25:43 PM »
NO new guitar made by either of them should be more than $2,500. I saw an ad for Gibson this morning that was in last month's MF catalog.  It was for what they call a "Les Paul '56 Historic Select".  It was EXTRA special.  Instead of being a goldtop it was black, had p-90s, and a Bigsby tail piece.  It included vintage tuning gears (code name Klusons).  They wanted $8,112.00 for this piece of shit.  Guess what, it's not REALLY a '56, and has none of the craftsmanship that a '56 had, because they're knocking out 700 a day, and the frets are put in by a machine.  It's a plain old black LP with a Bigsby, and P-90s.  WTF???  Even if the guitar was remotely worth the price, the average working musician would have to play 84 gigs to cover the price after tax.  The good news?  Be still my heart, CASE INCLUDED!!!  For a working "model" of a '59?  $8,642.00.  you tell me WTF the problem is and why they're losing their ass.  The small E string is still going to want to fall off the side of the neck, if it didn't they wouldn't have tried to pass of that monstrosity affectionately known as the 2015.  It's 1973 all over again, they think they can pass off shitty guitars and no one will notice, and now it's coming home roost and to bite them in the ass  Any guitar put out during the Norlin years is vastly superior to anything they were putting out in '73, and anything they're putting out now.  AND THEY STILL DON'T GET IT!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 11:27:53 PM by DannyDV8 »

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 01:55:52 PM »
By the way, the list price on the "Black Booger" was $11,466.00...........REALLY?