Author Topic: Played a gig at The Red Door last Saturday  (Read 1877 times)

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Played a gig at The Red Door last Saturday
« on: April 20, 2016, 03:44:42 PM »
Played a gig with the Laura Lisbeth band and restaurant/bar, The Red Door, Saturday night.  We had not played a gig in a month or two.  Its always nice to be sure the you can still do it; and all the gear is working, etc.   We have played on their outside patio.  This was our first time playing inside.  They had a nice wide stage, but it was only about 4' deep, and we couldn't put anything in front.  So, monitors we out of the question.  Put the speakers behind us.  Drummer barely managed to get his set in the 4' depth.  I was to one side of drummer; Laura and Greg were together on the other side.  Kind of like two islands separated by the drum kit.  Seems like impossible setup logistics are the norm.

We had been pre-warned about volume.  I turned my speaker cab to the wall.  And I started out so low that they couldn't hear me on the other side.  Got that worked out on the first couple of tunes, and the sound came together.

The place was packed all night.  We started at 8:30, and there were still people lined up waited on tables.  We brought in 20-30 people(a little pent-up demand, since we hadn't played a gig in awhile); and the place had its own crowd, so it was really rockin.  We never had a problem with volume, even with lots of diners during the first set.  Made some good tips, plus decent pay.  It was a great night for all involved.   Found out is was the place's 5th best night ever.  They want us back!

This coming weekend off, then gigs the next couple of weekends. 

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Played a gig at The Red Door last Saturday
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 06:29:04 PM »
This band sounds like it is alot more fun than the Road Dogs.
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

DannyDV8

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 09:46:41 PM »
Glad you're getting back after it.  Honk's probably right, eh?
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 02:31:59 AM »
Great!

Have a gig this weekend, then probably going to take it easy this summer with the new job and stuff...

Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 01:37:57 PM »
Glad you're getting back after it.  Honk's probably right, eh?

Not having to deal with any of the bandleader stuff makes a ton of difference!  I make a pretty good 'second-in-command'.  We even used Laura's PA gear for this one, so just had to bring my guitar rig, mic/stand/cables.  No lugging my PA gear up and down the basement steps.  And a big, receptive crowd makes so much difference!  I have played way too many poorly attended gigs, with cranky money-losing owners, etc.  A few of those, and I'm shaking my head, asking 'why am I doing this to myself?' for $100(gross) a night (or less!).  I played a couple gigs at a winery last year and the f'er 1099ed me.

A week from today is my last day at the ole day job!  I am going to take a stab at working up a body of original material.  I'm carrying around about a dozen finished songs, and tons of fragments and ideas.  And I could end up putting together another band, or looking for another to join up with.  I may also gear up to do some solo acoustic gigs.

Although, for now, Laura seems to be pulling down at least 2-3 gigs per month.  And that is plenty while I'm trying to make some lake weekends.  I will be able to make some mid-week "weekends", but that won't play well with my wife for the long term-- If she never gets to the lake because I'm gigging.  Or worse, she will start thinking about having "girls weekend" on the boat, without me present to defend the boat.  Cringe.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 03:50:30 PM »
YIKES!

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 06:56:49 PM »
YIKES!

This happened once before many years ago.  My wife has more confidence, than good judgement, some times.  Got a tear in a sail from that weekend, somehow.   Also, one maybe more of the women, inspired by copious amounts of wine, decided to go topless.  I think I need to be skipper/chaperon/camera man for the next one.

I have a little string of gig weekends coming up, where I won't be able to go to the boat.   I can see the wheels turning in her head.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 12:34:44 PM »
I've yet to meet a woman who had more judgemental skills than confidence.  Even the best women I've ever known thought they knew everything.  As far as wheels turning goes, you can hear them as well as see them turn.