Author Topic: Quilter 101 Mini Head  (Read 998 times)

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Quilter 101 Mini Head
« on: April 20, 2016, 04:12:42 PM »
Thinking about getting one of these: http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/products/mini-head-amps/101-mini-head

Love my tube amp, but it acted strange a few weeks ago.  Seemed to be isolated to one channel, I am thinking probably a preamp tube.  For now, it has straightened out (intermittent problem, as usual).  Seems like all tube amps have a certain amount of 'unreliability'.  Maybe some more than others.  I feel like I have to have a spare amp on gigs, or at least a plan.  My Ethos pedal can drive a cab, but it is kind of anemic.  Especially choked by my 16 ohm cab.

If I could find a solid state amp that I really liked as much as a tube amp, or at least close, that would be perfect!  If the tone is there, then everything else about SS is great: small, light, bulletproof reliability.

These 101 MHs are running $300.  I played on one in my local mom and pop store.  (I don't think Quilter plays with GC/MF).  I was really impressed.  From the pictures, I has assumed that the controls clicked-in to a few positions.  Not true.  They are all just regular pots.   Pretty impressive range of clean to dirty tones.  I need to try one, with my rig.  But I think it might make a good grab-n-go by itself, with a small cab.

It was connected to a Quilter 1x12 open back cab.  8ohm.  My main 1x12 cab is closed back, and 16ohm.  I emailed Quilter to ask how it would do, with a 16ohm speaker.  I got a reply back from Pat Quilter, the same day.  He said that in that set up, it may be possible to exceed the headroom on the class D output stage.  But that the class D distortion is well-behaved, and you'd be at very, very high volume by then.  I told him I'd be using a 30 watt tube and, he replied a second time to say that if I was happy with 30 watt tube, this would provide more than enough power.  I thought that was pretty impressive to get direct replies from Pat Quilter.

Anyway, my gear kitty is getting fat, and needs a trim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsXOOOtEOKc

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
Re: Quilter 101 Mini Head
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 02:31:22 AM »
I am hearing so many good things about them, under rated and sound great. 
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Quilter 101 Mini Head
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 02:05:14 PM »
I am hearing so many good things about them, under rated and sound great.

I was really tempted by their original 'Tone Block', which they are now discontinuing.  They are going lower price/features with the 101, and coming out with a "pro-Block" to replace the tone block.

The original TB and the Pro Block are 200 watt (ss).  And the 101 is 100 watt, on some setting and 50 on the others.  The TB and PB also have XLR direct outs.  The 101 has an 1/8 headphone jack and an FX loop.  You could probably record direct out of one of those.  But the XLR out would be a nice feature.  However, for my rig, my Ethos pedal has a very nice XLR direct out.  And anytime I wand to go straight to the board, I would use it, anyway.

I had a couple email exchanges with Pat Quilter, and he said that they are very conservative on the 100 watt rating.