Author Topic: Gig report - Anniversary Jam.  (Read 692 times)

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
Gig report - Anniversary Jam.
« on: June 19, 2016, 12:39:25 PM »
The anniversary gig started out as a day from hell and went better from there.

Went with the neighbor on a 50k bike ride.  Didn't go the greatest.  The course was mostly hills and the rest stop was early in the ride. Made it 28 miles and got way overheated.  Everything went white for a while and then I thought I was out for the whole count.  Got my act together a little, drank about 1/2 gallon of gatorade and decide to push on.

Got to the gig still hot, about 95 heat index no wind.  Found out that my set was pushed back 30 minutes.  That is NO problem, because it is better than getting moved up 30 minutes or an hour.

A little about the radio station, it is a community radio station and they want all original music if possible so they have as little BMI fees as possible.  Generally you will hear no more than 1 hour of programming each day that is not professional mainstream stuff.  Which is good for me and the original music makers, because they get air play, and some of the better ones, get a significant amount of air play.   To celebrate their first anniversary, they invited all the best of the bands to play.   

This group the "Twang Dragons" went on at 3.  The sun was beating down still and there were about 18 people in the crowd.  Played amazing orginal country.   They have a funny song with the lyrics  where it a back and forth between the lady singer and the guy signer 

Lady: "I drink because I love you"
Guy "I love you because I drink"
Lady "Who says size doesn't matter, you have the biggest liver that I have ever seen" 

I didn't get any pictures of the guy that pushed me back, because at that point, the band playing at 8 told me their guitar player couldn't make it and they asked me to fill in their set.  Six original songs that I had only heard and never played.     So we wrote down the keys of the songs that they were playing.   

The guy playing before me was more like a 70's lounge singer with a weak voice.  Good music just not very upbeat.   So then I come into the picture playing guitar rock/blues/jazz

Had my neighbor run a fog machine for effect

Played very hard and intense.  45 minute set that ended early because I blew a fuse during the last song.  It was really funny, all of the sudden the whole stage went quiet.  Everything was getting intense and loud and then silent......   

Yes BH that is the 1970 lefty strat all original.   I loved these guys, not that they were technically the best, but they were very tight and had tons of energy and got the crowd going.

This band played boogie woogie and polka.  Started their set by slamming another popular local band.   Played amazing but talking crap about another band is bad bad news in my book.

The the fill in... That group is called Pancake Riot.  It was amazingly fun.   Had to constantly inconspicuously look at the guitar players for chord changes.   In the end it sounded really really good!

Today I feel like a train ran over me.  My Fitbit recorded 281 active minutes.

Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Gig report - Anniversary Jam.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 12:41:00 PM »
oh my.... If I find out who set a water bottle on top of my amp....
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 01:46:52 PM »

Good snap of the PRS

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 02:24:54 PM »
Looks like a great time. The girl playin the acoustic looks like she has one of your guitars ?
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 08:11:34 PM »
That sounds a pretty grueling day Ken! 

We played at the Farmers Market Saturday morning 10:30 - 1:30.  We were outside, but had shade, and it was early.