Author Topic: Hey guys  (Read 1485 times)

jblaylock

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
Hey guys
« on: June 21, 2017, 03:20:49 PM »
Long time no BAB. How is everyone

Got a new video.

https://youtu.be/C1t949e1Q3M
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 03:28:44 PM by jblaylock »

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
Re: Hey guys
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 01:16:29 AM »
You show up here after all this time and that's the best you got ?

BTW what the ?$&@ did you do to that guitar ?
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 02:27:35 AM »
Sounds good Jonny!  Great to hear from you.  I am busy selling off stuff to go cruising in a sailboat full time.  We are having an open house Saturday, to officially kick off 'putting our house on the market'.  Once the house sells, we are going to rent some place near coastal for about a month, while we pick a boat.  Completed course and test for my captain's license last week.  Stuff's happening fast!

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 12:44:18 PM »
JK Jonny, sounds good.

Rich, congrats on getting your Captains license!
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 03:03:29 PM »
JK Jonny, sounds good.

Rich, congrats on getting your Captains license!

Quite a process!
- USCG physical-- kind of a fitness for duty exam, color blindness, hearing, arm and leg movements, some lifting/twisting/walking tests.  Kind of a weird physical.
- Drug test.  Studied for 6 weeks, and passed!
- Self studied my ass off for the coast guard test.  Once at Sea School, I found out that about 30% of what I had studied was for the next couple of levels.  I would have stayed on done the Masters 100 ton class, but had to be home.  Easy upgrade, later on.
- 6 consecutive 7:30 - 17:30 class days in Alabama, followed by a day of 4 tests.  Pulled a 98%, 86%, 84%, and 80%!  The rules of the road test, are what wash out lots of guys.  That was my 98%.
- CPR/First Aid class
- Transportation workers credential (TWIC) through Homeland Security.  Required for anyone getting a USCG credential.

I am waiting on my school certificate to arrive.  Then I need to fill out my 'sea time' documentation, and get the whole application package off to the coast guard.  Once I passed the test, the rest are not challenging, but tedious.  Lots of hoops!

I am ready to be living it for real, rather than in my head!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 03:16:44 PM by RichR »

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 04:25:32 PM »
Are you guys going permanently to the sea or are you going to have a home base close to the coast ?

We are the opposite,My son helped me hang this the other day and I have 2 more to go.
 I'll be piloting my ship mostly from the recliner.

Blueshonky  2013

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 04:06:19 PM »
Are you guys going permanently to the sea or are you going to have a home base close to the coast ?

We are the opposite,My son helped me hang this the other day and I have 2 more to go.
 I'll be piloting my ship mostly from the recliner.

Can't see the pic, BH.  Shows up like a broken link.  What is it?  BTW, I read that there was a drug bust, and potentially a 'golf cart' chop shop discovered at The Villages!

Going to sea as our only home for now.  We are committing to sticking with it at least 2 years.  And if we still like the way things are going, we will continue as long as our health permits. 

No house/home base.  We originally had planned to have a home base coastal somewhere.  I was never too keen on that idea, as it required leaving a house behind when we cruise.  I have no interest in being a landlord, and didn't want to be leaving a vacant house sitting around.  The coastal house was mostly a concession to my wife.  And it always complicated things.  My idea of our 'coastal base' was someplace inexpensive.  Maybe even an hour or two from the coast.  Her idea was 'waterfront', with a canal and a slip behind the house.  So we could keep a boat at our house.  I saw all this a money drain, and would leave me with a 50k 'project boat'.  Rather than a 100k-200k, nearly ready-to-go boat. 

Anyway, she came around.  We've had some fairly young deaths (late 50s), in our circle of friends.  She wants to make this happen ASAP, and realizes that taking the 'house' out of the equation makes to much simpler, and very doable.  She also has soured on her job-- she is an administrator at a medical facility and there is not to do, which absolutely drives her crazy. Her facility is about to be bought by a hospital, and her job will probably be eliminated anyway.  It would be nice if they would lay her off, as opposed to quitting.  She is keeping her planned departure secret from her employer, for now.

So, the short version is the boat will be our sole residence.  We plan to rent while we seriously shop for 'the' boat-- Extended Stay hotel, airbnb, condo rental, whatever.  Something we can do week-to-week, or month-to-month.   No leases.  I think one month will do it.  From the rental/hotel, we will move aboard the boat we buy.  So, we don't know exactly where we will start from, until we pick the boat.

Right now, our focus is on getting our house sold.

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 04:43:58 PM »
Hi Rich, the pic shows up on my PC but not on my Cell. its a pic with my feet up lookin at the new big screen.

Blueshonky  2013

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 03:28:25 PM »
Hi Rich, the pic shows up on my PC but not on my Cell. its a pic with my feet up lookin at the new big screen.

Cool.  If you get YouTube videos, there are lots of great sailing videos you can watch on that big screen!

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 04:30:33 PM »
I know sailing.

1. Figure out where you want to go.
2. Whichever way it is do NOT aim the boat in that direction.
3. Aim the boat in some other direction.
4. Trust me, this is the way sail boaters do it.
5. They are heavy drinkers

Blueshonky  2013

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 08:20:31 PM »
I know sailing.

1. Figure out where you want to go.
2. Whichever way it is do NOT aim the boat in that direction.
3. Aim the boat in some other direction.
4. Trust me, this is the way sail boaters do it.
5. They are heavy drinkers

Well, #5 is right, anyway.  I am lucky to not have all that much love for alcohol.  After 1 or 2, I'm not digging the effect.  The cruising life is an 'opportunity' for anyone prone to being alcoholic in the first place.  Many succumb.