Author Topic: Grasping Straws Production  (Read 120 times)

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
Grasping Straws Production
« on: June 23, 2017, 03:50:45 PM »
A little rewriting and I finally set this 1 to meter, I think I did my due diligence considering my abilities. I kept the bass. drums and harp real suttle and let the vocal and rhythm guitar be up front.

https://app.box.com/s/lcgezvxanx853dxpewwdqlzecl2ukfi7
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Grasping Straws Production
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 03:02:04 PM »
Sounds good.  Good, tight, and balanced!   8)

I am putting together a 'boat studio' of Reaper on a laptop, and a Focusrite Scarlet interface.  A headphone amp, headphones, a few mics.  Already sold off my teac 1641 recording interface, and my condenser mics.

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 04:16:56 PM »
 Thanks. Me and studio equip are are like this Jerry Clowers joke :

One time Marcel Ledbetter (rip Jerry Clower) went to the local hardware store to get a new saw. He told the clerk that he was cutting up some fire wood for the winter and his cross cut saw just wasn't cutting good enough. Well, the ambitious clerk said, "what you need, Marcel, is one of the Pooland (Poulan) Chain Saws and it will cut your wood cutting time down to almost nothing."

Well, Marcel bought the chain saw and headed home. About a week later he came in the store and told the clerk he wanted to return the saw because it didn't cut worth a darn. The clerk was puzzled so he picked up the saw, choked it a couple times, pulled the cord and it cranked "Brrraaawwww Brrraaawwww Brrraaawwww" went the saw. Marcel jumped back and hollered "What's dat noise?"

In my case it was the quantize feature. I didn't reailze you can use this on the bass and rhythm guitar tracks, I always thought it only applies to digital instruments like the drum and keys for some reason. Recorded the acoustic into 2 mics and used the quantize feature on both and also on the bass.

It's great that a laptop and an interface and the right pc of software is all you need these days.
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 04:10:02 PM »
Thanks. Me and studio equip are are like this Jerry Clowers joke :

One time Marcel Ledbetter (rip Jerry Clower) went to the local hardware store to get a new saw. He told the clerk that he was cutting up some fire wood for the winter and his cross cut saw just wasn't cutting good enough. Well, the ambitious clerk said, "what you need, Marcel, is one of the Pooland (Poulan) Chain Saws and it will cut your wood cutting time down to almost nothing."

Well, Marcel bought the chain saw and headed home. About a week later he came in the store and told the clerk he wanted to return the saw because it didn't cut worth a darn. The clerk was puzzled so he picked up the saw, choked it a couple times, pulled the cord and it cranked "Brrraaawwww Brrraaawwww Brrraaawwww" went the saw. Marcel jumped back and hollered "What's dat noise?"

In my case it was the quantize feature. I didn't reailze you can use this on the bass and rhythm guitar tracks, I always thought it only applies to digital instruments like the drum and keys for some reason. Recorded the acoustic into 2 mics and used the quantize feature on both and also on the bass.

It's great that a laptop and an interface and the right pc of software is all you need these days.

Originally, in Sonar anyway, Quantize was only for midi stuff.  But through the years, they made an audio quantize, as well.  Sometimes quantize messes things up for me.  If I set it up wrong, or the notes are too far off, it moves them the wrong way.  Sounds like you got it dialed in! 

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 04:41:54 PM »
Studio 1, quantizes from 1/4 to 1/64 resolution. I think I QT'd the bass to 1/8 and the rhythm to 1/16 and it seemed to work pretty well

Blueshonky  2013