Author Topic: Chuckinator5k NAD Before Yesterday  (Read 259 times)

chuckinator5k

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
Chuckinator5k NAD Before Yesterday
« on: July 16, 2018, 01:04:00 AM »
I picked up a used Toneville Beale St. 1x12 20 watt amp. It has a fifties Bomb Shelter aesthetic which I don't really care for but overlooked because it was a good deal. What a sweet amp! Real glassy tones and fairly easily overdriven with no pedals. Very heavy. Walnut and maple cabinet, solid as a rock. Built in attenuator. I put a Strymon Blue Sky in between a Fender Professional Strat and the amp. Had the Strymon set on room with the decay cranked. I started to float up into the room! The Strat has Tim Shaw designed pups, love those things. Hope y'all are in Toneville or somewhere near!  8)

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/20030-toneville-amplifiers-beale-st-review

chuckinator5k

• View Profile
Re: Chuckinator5k NAD Before Yesterday
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 01:50:09 AM »
So I've had this amp for a few days now. It's making weird noises, probably a tube going out. I have 30 days to take it back from whence it came, a Music Go Round close to my house. I tried the Toneville amp website, doesn't work. They have a Facebook page. I'm not on Facebook. Turns out that the music store that sells the amps is how you get ahold of the amp manufacturer. Same owner. No Website. One year warranty. That's some bullshit right there. I called and talked to a guy at the music store. He's going to relay my info to the owner to see if he can go through it and tell me what's wrong with it. Whoever owned the amp before me was pretty rough on it. It's scratched up pretty bad. I would have taken it back already by now but I love the amp. It sounds fantastic. If I don't hear from the guy soon, I'll take it to an amp repair place and see how soon they can tell me what's up with it. They're 2600.00 new, I paid 1300.00. They need to take a lesson from Two Rock and get their poop in a group! Two Rock has a five year warranty. Any repair is a maximum of 300.00 bucks after the warranty is up. I have a Two Rock Cardiff, I'll post a thread on it. It's real nice of course. lol

DannyDV8

• Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 05:19:32 AM »
I've played Fenders all my life.  Say what you will, but they're reliable!
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

chuckinator5k

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 01:40:11 PM »
I've played Fenders all my life.  Say what you will, but they're reliable!
Can't beat a Fender. I have 4 of'em. I got one of those hand wired Deluxe Tweeds, love that thing! Liked it so much, I bought another. Thought about running in stereo. Probably going to sell one. Also have a Princeton reissue and a Super Champ. Since getting the Cardiff, I haven't touched the other amps as much. Another thing I noticed about the Toneville, the attenuator stopped working. Think I'm just going to take it back. The one year warranty pisses me off. With everything about that company being half assed, (except the tone of the amp), I have a feeling I won't hear from the guy. I mean, do you stand behind your shit or what??? I can put that money towards another Two Rock. Damn those things are pricey though. Used is the way to go. Got a fantastic deal on the Cardiff (1200.00 on Reverb).

chuckinator5k

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 06:34:01 PM »
UPDATE: Run, don't walk AWAY from these amps. I did a little research. I liked the tone enough to drive down to Colorado Springs and try out a new one just to see how a new one is supposed to operate/sound. According to the website of the place that sells them, they have new ones. You can order one online and pay for it with a credit card. On the website, the Beale Street and Broadway look exactly the same. Here's the amp page from the website. https://www.luccimusic.com/collections/amplifiers So I ask the guy, "What's the difference between the Beale Street and Broadway?" He says, "The Beale Street has a blue plastic front on them. The Broadway has a Maple front. OK. I have a Broadway. (they look exactly the same on the website) I ask, "Where are your Toneville amps?" He says, "We only have one. It's used." I thought to myself, "What kind of chickenshit outfit is this?" They have 1 used Toneville, yet you can go to their website and buy a new one with a credit card? I asked, "Is the warranty transferable?" Answer, "Don't know." I asked, "How can I tell if this amp is still under warranty or not?" Answer, "Don't know." I smell a cokehead business owner. Taking this mfer back as fast as I can! Too bad. It sounded nice until it started messing up.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 09:08:57 PM »
I recently picked up a limited edition Fender Princeton.  It 10 watts instead of 12, has hand wound custom transformers, they took out the anti feedback, so it breaks up really fast, and has neon blue Tolex covering, with a 10 inch Celestion speaker instead of the usual 12".  It's the only amp I've ever had that makes me say "Damn, this thing sound just like me!"  I also have a new SuperSonic 22 that I LOVE TO DEATH!  Blonde Tolex, oxblood grill cloth. Lad channel, and an effects loop that I run a vol. pedal through.

chuckinator5k

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 12:30:24 AM »
I recently picked up a limited edition Fender Princeton.  It 10 watts instead of 12, has hand wound custom transformers, they took out the anti feedback, so it breaks up really fast, and has neon blue Tolex covering, with a 10 inch Celestion speaker instead of the usual 12".  It's the only amp I've ever had that makes me say "Damn, this thing sound just like me!"  I also have a new SuperSonic 22 that I LOVE TO DEATH!  Blonde Tolex, oxblood grill cloth. Lad channel, and an effects loop that I run a vol. pedal through.

Sweet! Can't beat a good Princeton. Immaculate cleans baby! I think my Princeton has a 10". Haven't played it much but will when I start recording.

chuckinator5k

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 02:43:25 PM »
I shouldn't assume the guy who owns Toneville is a cokehead. That is wrong. But the evasiveness of the guy at the store makes me think something is amiss. I imagine it's pretty tough to start and keep a new amp company going. I don't know why the company floundered. Like, is it a result of something happening to the guy or his family or just poor business practices? Cancer or an accident or something like that can mess up any well laid plans. Bottom line, if it's a 2600.00 dollar amp with a one year warranty, I'll get something else.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 06:05:19 PM »
I shouldn't assume the guy who owns Toneville is a cokehead. That is wrong. But the evasiveness of the guy at the store makes me think something is amiss. I imagine it's pretty tough to start and keep a new amp company going. I don't know why the company floundered. Like, is it a result of something happening to the guy or his family or just poor business practices? Cancer or an accident or something like that can mess up any well laid plans. Bottom line, if it's a 2600.00 dollar amp with a one year warranty, I'll get something else.
Damned straight!

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 06:07:38 PM »

Sweet! Can't beat a good Princeton. Immaculate cleans baby! I think my Princeton has a 10". Haven't played it much but will when I start recording.
Princetons usually have a 12" and it usually an Eminence.

chuckinator5k

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 07:00:33 PM »

Princetons usually have a 12" and it usually an Eminence.
Mine is a Princeton Reverb, has a 10" Jensen C-10R, 15 watts. Very spanky.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 12:58:09 PM »
I love the tone of tube amps... but sold them all and went Kemper.  NO pedals, no amps, quick and easy set ups. 
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

chuckinator5k

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 03:06:59 PM »
I love the tone of tube amps... but sold them all and went Kemper.  NO pedals, no amps, quick and easy set ups.
I've been seeing that thing advertised, hadn't checked it out until now. Very interesting! My question is, can you get a nice singing feedback from it? Nothing digital that I've used will do that like a good overdriven tube amp. I bought a Line 6 Firehawk (like a dumbass), it can get feedback but not the singing kind you can get from a tube amp. Also have a Helix. Haven't touched them in a long time. I've been loving me some tube amps. Still have my Egnater Renegade and 2x12 cab. It will do the beautiful feedback thing as will my Mesa Boogie 50 Caliber, Fender Deluxe Tweed and Two Rock Cardiff. Speaking of feedback, I watched Steve Vai at the Iridium on PBS night before last. He uses lots of beautiful feedback.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2018, 01:05:39 AM »
I've been seeing that thing advertised, hadn't checked it out until now. Very interesting! My question is, can you get a nice singing feedback from it? Nothing digital that I've used will do that like a good overdriven tube amp. I bought a Line 6 Firehawk (like a dumbass), it can get feedback but not the singing kind you can get from a tube amp. Also have a Helix. Haven't touched them in a long time. I've been loving me some tube amps. Still have my Egnater Renegade and 2x12 cab. It will do the beautiful feedback thing as will my Mesa Boogie 50 Caliber, Fender Deluxe Tweed and Two Rock Cardiff. Speaking of feedback, I watched Steve Vai at the Iridium on PBS night before last. He uses lots of beautiful feedback.

Absolutely more responsive than any tube amp that I have ever owned.   Yes able to get amazing long music feedback.  Just trying to find some videos I did.  Yes the firehawk is a serious dud.

Here's a few clips of me playing.  You should be able to see them without logging in to facebook.  Let me know if not.

https://www.facebook.com/kenwagman/videos/10211371575100868/?t=0

https://www.facebook.com/kenwagman/videos/10211371575100868/?t=0

and jamies song again live:

https://www.facebook.com/fromthewreckageband/videos/1588013954608581/

Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.