Author Topic: Two Rock Cardiff Problems  (Read 123 times)

chuckinator5k

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
Two Rock Cardiff Problems
« on: January 27, 2020, 09:26:47 PM »
My Two Rock Cardiff (Vox AC15 ish) has a rattle I'm having trouble tracking down. It has new TAD tubes and a new Celestion Alnico Blue 15 watt 12 inch speaker. I took the speaker out and had it tested. It's not the speaker. The rattle is a high pitched one that can be heard at the specific note of the E on the D string. It's more pronounced with an OD pedal with some volume. I checked all the screws and knobs, everything is as tight as a snare drum. Tubes are seated tightly. I'm thinking it's a tube or tube socket spring. Anybody had similar problems? I'll take it to my amp repair guy tomorrow. Otherwise this is a great little amp. Here is a link to a Premier Guitar review. https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/24811-two-rock-cardiff-review

DannyDV8

• Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Two Rock Cardiff Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 04:17:48 AM »
It could be a cold solder.  I take it to an amp repairman.....
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

chuckinator5k

• Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Two Rock Cardiff Problems
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 11:47:23 PM »
I hooked up the Cardiff to the speaker in my Princeton, no rattle. Weird that it rattles with the Alnico Blue and not the Jensen in my Princeton. I haven't put the Alnico Blue back in the Cardiff yet. A guy on the Gear Page said I should play the note and use a rag or pot holder and touch each tube while playing the note to see if I can feel any vibration. If there is one with a vibration, he suggested that I could try a damper ring for the tube. I'll give that a try in the next couple of days. The amp repair options in Denver are pretty scarce. The main one is run by a grumpy old British guy. Several bad reviews on Google. Another guy runs his from his garage. The third option place is pricey. If I can't figure it out, I might see what's available in Colorado Springs.