Author Topic: My Recording Setup  (Read 727 times)

chuckinator5k

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
My Recording Setup
« on: March 29, 2020, 02:02:10 PM »
I'm using Pro Tools. DAW is a UA Apollo USB. I wish I'd gone with the 8 input one that uses the Thunderbolt but I was out of card space on my PC. 8 inputs is much better for drums as you can adjust the level, EQ etc of each mic. I'm getting a wicked high pitched hum when recording anything electronic directly (keyboards, electronic drums), especially the Helix guitar processor. I think it's called a two cycle hum. The Roland drums and Helix both have the option of using a mic cable which I tried. Buzz still there. I tried using an ISO BOX on the Helix, got the Helix up off the floor to no avail. I thought it might be that my DAW sits directly above my recording PC but when I record bass guitar directly (straight into the DAW), it's very quiet. Recording amps with microphones is also much cleaner except for the buzz of the amp of course. Maybe my wireless keyboard and mouse? I don't think that's it either. When KOTB was happening, I recorded some of my stuff direct back then and had the same problem while using wired mouse and keyboard. Probably going to get a noise reduction plug-in. I tired a thing back then for getting rid of what they called "line noise." Didn't work either. Don't know if it's the wiring in my basement or what. Wonder if it could be fluorescent lights in adjacent rooms. They're not turned on but maybe that doesn't matter? Any advice is appreciated! Hope y'all are well.

Chuckster

chuckinator5k

• View Profile
Re: My Recording Setup
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 02:05:23 PM »
I'm using Pro Tools. DAW is a UA Apollo USB. I wish I'd gone with the 8 input one that uses the Thunderbolt but I was out of card space on my PC. 8 inputs is much better for drums as you can adjust the level, EQ etc of each mic. I'm getting a wicked high pitched hum when recording anything electronic directly (keyboards, electronic drums), especially the Helix guitar processor. I think it's called a two cycle hum. The Roland drums and Helix both have the option of using a mic cable which I tried. Buzz still there. I tried using an ISO BOX on the Helix, got the Helix up off the floor to no avail. I thought it might be that my DAW sits directly above my recording PC but when I record bass guitar directly (straight into the DAW), it's very quiet. Recording amps with microphones is also much cleaner except for the buzz of the amp of course. Maybe my wireless keyboard and mouse? I don't think that's it either. When KOTB was happening, I recorded some of my stuff direct back then and had the same problem while using wired mouse and keyboard. Probably going to get a noise reduction plug-in. I tired a thing back then for getting rid of what they called "line noise." Didn't work either. Don't know if it's the wiring in my basement or what. Wonder if it could be fluorescent lights in adjacent rooms. They're not turned on but maybe that doesn't matter? Any advice is appreciated! Hope y'all are well.

Chuckster

I meant to say Microphone cables (stereo), not cable on the Helix and Roland drums. ;)

chuckinator5k

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 10:21:36 PM »
Getting set up to record a drum track. A mexican radio station is coming through the DAW. Guess I'm going to have to line the walls and ceiling with copper foil. What a pain in the arse!   :cantlook:

chuckinator5k

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 12:37:45 PM »
Getting set up to record a drum track. A mexican radio station is coming through the DAW. Guess I'm going to have to line the walls and ceiling with copper foil. What a pain in the arse!   :cantlook:

I tracked down the problem. It turned out to be a GFI outlet in an adjacent room. I reset it and BOOM! In effect the grounding problem created a radio antenna in the wiring between my studio and that outlet. What a relief.