Author Topic: Jetslide  (Read 3730 times)

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Jetslide
« on: April 01, 2013, 02:03:08 PM »
Always on the lookout for a better slide.   Now that we are doing 3 piece, the ability to get in and out of  slide quickly is more important than ever.  Always wanted to try one of these.  Ordered one last week, and it showed up Saturday.

I got the brass w/glass version.   They have been making stainless and brass jetslides for awhile.  To add glass to the offerings, they glue a glass sleeve on either SS or brass.   If the glass is broken (by dropping on the hard floor, etc.), a new sleeve  ($5) can be ordered, and glued on by the owner.   Or the broken glass can be removed, and the slide used as the normal non-glass version.

I think we have a winner!  I likey.   The sound and control are tops.   The in-and-out thing works well.   It fits somewhat like a ring, and is adjustable within half a ring size.   Order by ring size.  I'm experimenting to find my ideal fit.   The jetslide is swung into place, by using the pinky on the tab.   The tab comes bent at 90 degrees.   The angle can be tweaked by bending the tab a bit.

I'm finding that when playing regular/fretted stuff with the jetslide on my finger, it tends to swing around far enough, that it can be hard for my pinky to reach the tab.  I'm still learning and tweaking.   I'm also finding that for a quick in-and-out slide part, I can keep my pinky under the  tab and next to the bar.

I think this may be my favorite slide for playability and tone.     And the ability to fret chords or play riffs with all for fingers works great!   I probably would not wear it all the time, as it does add some weight to your hand, and it clunks around a bit, as you play.   Some slight soreness between the ring and pinky fingers where the bar rests (but I played for a few hours straight with it on, so non-problem.)

A vid:

Jetslide Guitar Slide Demo
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 02:05:49 PM by RichR »

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
Re: Jetslide
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 02:18:19 PM »
Thanks for sharing. 

I don't do well with slides.  Not sure that that is a skill I need at this time.   
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 02:37:31 PM »
Thanks for sharing. 

I don't do well with slides.  Not sure that that is a skill I need at this time.

When there is pretty much nothing but guitar, bass, and drums it adds some variety.   Also, when I go to a jam, and put in a lineup with 2 or 3 guitars, playing slide gives me a way to stand-out, and provide some variety.

Also, it is key to the old Allman stuff we cover.

DannyDV8

• Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 04:55:49 PM »
Show me glass, I'll show you broken glass.  I like the sound better, but I always screw it up!
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 07:12:55 PM »
Show me glass, I'll show you broken glass.  I like the sound better, but I always screw it up!

Yeah, I know.  I've lost count of how many glass slides I've broken.   Many of them from trying to grab or get rid of the slide mid-song.   But also just countless dumb things.   I have one of those mic stand slide holder/pick holder things.   Not so easy to hit in the dark, in the heat of a song.   

If I break the glass sleeve on this one, I'll probably, just strip the broken glass off and use it as the metal version.   But the glass sure has a warm sound, and a smooth feel over the strings, though.   

Having this glass sleeve glued onto the metal bar is kind of the best of both worlds.  The extra mass of a heavy metal slide, with the smoothness and mellowness of glass.

Right now, I'm carrying:

1 pinky sized  pyrex dunlop
1 larger pyrex dunlop, flared on one end
1 larger pyrex dunlop (keep in my acoustic case)
1 bottleneck (Real Glass, and I like this slide, but the seams are annoying-- should look into a quality bottleneck with the seams polished down.)
1 brass slide (had this one about 40 years-- no breaky)
1 stainless slide
And now the JetSlide.

I've had several ceramic slides I liked pretty well too (all broken, now)

Mudslide
Rocky Mountain Slide
Joe Perry Slide

Broken ones also include a few corcidan bottle types.

I guess I'm doing my part to support the slide makers of the world.   One of these days, I'll pick up an inexpensive lap steel and a bar, too.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 09:17:47 PM »
I've got an old Ernie Ball Pinky slide that I've been using since the Vietnam war.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 12:37:36 AM »
I've got an old Ernie Ball Pinky slide that I've been using since the Vietnam war.

Must be steel/chrome, or an extremely lucky glass slide.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 02:40:10 AM »
The longest I ever got glass to last was a couple of weeks one time.  The rest broke the first time out!

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 03:22:19 PM »
I have used the jetslide at a rehearsal, and at a jam.  A bit on the fence.   As a fulltime slide, I actually like the sound and feel of the jetslide (brass + glass version).   Seems a little easier to be accurate and articulate, than the average slide, too.

But the getting in and out of slide thing...   Well, you have the position where you are ready to play slide.   And you have the position where the jetslide is swung out of the way.   

But I have found two other positions:  1) In-between--  doesn't get all the way out of the way, or all the way in-place, and you can't play shit until you clear it up.   In reality, it is only taking a beat or two to deal with most anything.   But it creates an instant crisis and kills the mojo.    2) the other postion I've discovered is to put my pinky under the tab, next to the bar, rather than on top of the tab.  I've done this by accident a few times, while trying to quickly get into slide mode, and I don't quite get my pinky on top of the tab.   Actually my fingers are small enough that I can play slide like this with my pinky on the bar.   And when I get a small break, I can switch and get my pinky on the tab for a little better control.    This might turn out to be my workable 'quickie' technique.

Jury is still out.