Musical Instrument Discussion > Guitar Effects

NPD/NAD - Ethos Overdrive Amp

(1/4) > >>

RichR:
Got the Ethos Amp Friday night, and have been trying all kinds of things.  Drive a 1x12, a 4x10, a monitor cab, a pa cab, direct to PA, direct recording, front of my amp, and front of a couple other amps at jams.  Does it all well!!!

Haven't had a chance to try driving a cab with it, while playing with a drummer.  But I think it is loud enough.  The built in amp seems a bit on the dark side, so the setting need to be tweaked, compared to the settings you would use going to the front of an amp.  (Even after using/not using the Guitar Amp Compensation circuit (GAC), etc.

Bumped my Lovepedal Amp11 off as a foundation overdrive.  And a very nice clean, also.   Even on a good clean amp sound, it improves it.  Keeping the OCD as a boost.  Dialed the gain back, and use it more as a clean boost, just not totally clean.

Just getting all the settings figured out.  Finding some great, useable sounds.  Here are a couple scratch recordings I did direct from the Ethos.  The bass part on the first one, was also through the Ethos (clean channel).  Fired up a drum loop and made up some stuff.

Not really good pedal demo clips, but they show the potential for direct recording.  These were done totally in head phones in the middle of the night.  Both strat and lp tracks on both.

[tune]http://burlapandblues.com/uploads/RichR-Ethos_1.mp3[/tune]

[tune]http://burlapandblues.com/uploads/RichR-Ethos_2.mp3[/tune]

fsr:
I was waiting for this post! cool stuff-and yes it does direct pretty well, huh?

RichR:

--- Quote from: fsr on February 17, 2014, 06:18:42 PM ---I was waiting for this post! cool stuff-and yes it does direct pretty well, huh?

--- End quote ---

Yes, I am very impressed with the direct recording.  I'll have to see if it is even worth the bother to record via amp/mic.  I almost wish I'd gone with the non-amp version that could run of my pedalboard power supply.  A minor hassle to find pedalboard space to mount the Ethos power supply.  But that is all done now.

Mark-- thanks again for sharing your thoughts and experience with the Ethos!  I am really liking the sound of the pedal through a clean tube amp.  I bet the Mesa is a good matchup. 

fsr:
Do you have a voodoo p/s cause the supply for a non amped ethos is 18 volt not the normal 9v. I mean not that it's an issue of course.  I want to go with a pedal train. But the power will have to be the voodo labs.

RichR:

--- Quote from: fsr on February 18, 2014, 02:53:27 AM ---Do you have a voodoo p/s cause the supply for a non amped ethos is 18 volt not the normal 9v. I mean not that it's an issue of course.  I want to go with a pedal train. But the power will have to be the voodo labs.

--- End quote ---

Yes, I have the voodoo labs pedal power II plus, which can do 18v.  So, the non amp version could have run off of my PB powersupply. For the amp version, the powersupply has the form factor of a laptop power supply-- a box that has a 110v plug coming out of one end, and in the case of the amped version, a 24v cable going to the Ethos.   The PS box is slightly bigger than the average pedal, so basically displaces one extra pedal.   I tried to find a spot underneath my pedalboard (pedaltrain-1).  The Pedal Power power supply is mounted with a nice, provided bracket.  Couldn't quite find the space underneath.

I am looking at the Ethos power supply as a possible point of failure, that I don't have a spare for.   Ideally, I would carry a spare.

Here is how it is looking:

power supply in the upper left.  You can see the voodoo labs pp2, peeking from underneath at top, under the chorus.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version